Sunday, May 9, 2010

Lost, episode 6-14, "The Candidate" - Theme Song(s)!

Theme Song(s)!

Okay, here's the thing. This week, I had a song for the episode and a separate song for Jin and Sun (sob) right off the bat. But after writing the recap, I felt like I needed...something more, so I searched for songs about mirrors and reflections and the like. (If you haven't read the full recap yet, trust me, you'll understand once you do.) And I came across this song: "Backwards" by Apartment 26. I found the lyrics first, and my word, it's my whole recap, just several thousand words shorter. I didn't recognize the song or band, so I searched for it on YouTube and it's just -- it's too loud for me. It actually makes my heart pound. The only heavy metal I like these days is heavy metal I liked a decade or two ago. But these lyrics -- they're perfect. So I'm posting them first. Here we go:


"Backwards" by Apartment 26
Finished looking for the answers
Now I’m looking for the questions
I can look into you mirror and see inside your head
See my reflections and this is what I’ve bled
I look right into your mirror but I can’t see me

Chorus:
Everything’s gone backwards
Nothing’s what it seems
I awake from my nightmares
Smash the mirror, smash the dreams

Backwards into future
Now you’re making up for lost time
I hide under the shadow and try to hide my name
Eyes that will question and this is what I mean
I look back into your mirror
But still don’t see me

Chorus (2x)

Smash the mirror, smash the dreams (3x)

Chorus (2x)

Smash the mirror, smash the dreams (3x)



I know, right?! So, here's theme song #1:



For posterity: This is a beautiful Matrix fan vid, set to Apartment 26's "Backwards." And don't get me wrong, Apartment 26. It's not you. It's me. "Backwards" is a cool song. I'm just not the cool recapper. I'm the cozy recapper. My hook: I've got wine, goodies and tissues. Now lets kick off our shoes, curl up on the couch and watch Lost. Why did we leave the wine bottle all the way out in the kitchen? Oh right, so we don't accidentally knock out the cork and get evil all over the carpet..



So, onto songs that are less representative of my thoughts, but way more my speed...

(Okay, this one is a great theme song for the series, writ large)



For posterity: "Reflections of My Life" by The Marmalade (I'm ashamed I didn't think of this song on my own. I found it when I was searching Youtube for the next song).



This next song popped into my head as soon as I started writing the full recap, but it seemed so...accessible. I'm not dissing The Supremes. Heaven knows they're on every short lost of music I love. It's just -- I was making a big deal about reflections in the recap, so of course I thought of this song. But you know what -- listening to it now, it really is appropriate for this episode.



For posterity: "Reflections" by Diana Ross & the Supremes (note, they then go on to sing "That's Why the Lady Is a Tramp" which is appropriate here, given how many songs I'm running through for this episode).



And finally, this song is not a theme song, but a dedication, to Jin and Sun Kwon. Sob



For posterity: "I'll Be Seeing You" by Bing Crosby. Note: This is someone's video dedicated to their grandparents (Mima and Pop Pop Joe). It was my grandparents' song too (Nana and Grampy Red), so I couldn't resist. Here's to grandparents and great love stories. I'll be seeing you.

No comments:

Post a Comment